On today’s episode of Love, Then Money, a couple shares their experience with keeping track of their finances, developing philanthropic plans, and still leaving room for spontaneous spending.
Jenny and Katelyn are both business and life partners who have been together for nearly a decade. Together, they’ve opened a wildly successful yoga studio in St. Petersburg, FL called The Body Electric Yoga Company, or The B.
Even though their money comes from the same place, Jenny and Katelyn take very different approaches to managing their money. Jenny prefers a hands-off role, while Katelyn takes care of most of the bills and banking responsibilities.
They both see that things are going well financially, but there is still room to perfect their financial strategies.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What are your current money roles in the relationship? (6:08)
- Are you happy with your financial roles right now? (8:54)
About Jenny and Katelyn:
- Jenny and Katelyn are both business partners and life partners. (1:31)
- Jenny and Katelyn have the same salary and savings, making everything uniquely equal. (1:47)
- They keep their own checking accounts for personal spending, but most of their money goes into a join account for paying bills. (6:33)
- They recently started using a financial planner. (6:45)
- Jenny, having grown up poor in a rich neighborhood, prefers to think about money as little as possible. Katelyn, however, takes a more hands-on approach to their finances. (6:57)
- They currently don’t have a spending budget. (8:00)
- When they need money to pay bills, they take draws on the business. (8:10)
- Overall, they are relaxed and happy with their financial management roles and situation. (9:04)
- They don’t really track their spending or donating habits but would like to improve in this area. (9:09)
The Body Electric: